I am an Occupational Therapist and commenced my career with the Northland District Health Board in 1982 where I gained wide experience in General Medical and Orthopaedics.
This was followed by 6 years specialising in paediatrics as an Occupational Therapist and Neurodevelopmental Therapist. I then crossed the ditch and worked in Adult vocational Rehabilitation for the CRS for 12 years and then on an injury management team for Curtin University and Murdoch University. On returning to Whangarei in 2004 I worked for Burtons Healthcare until 2005 when I established Active Intervention Management (AIM) Ltd alongside Debbie Glendinning.
Since this time I have worked with private companies and government organizations, conducting work site assessments and job analyses, assisting employers and injured workers to maintain a safe work environment and return to work following an injury. I have been able to utilise my skills in the management of long term claims with many of these being those with Brain injuries and experiencing chronic pain.
I have developed and presented many training packages to a wide group of employee groups. These packages have included office safety, minimising risks at workstations, manual handling, developing physical intelligence, stress management and practical relaxation. My main areas of interest include all aspects of vocational rehabilitation, injury prevention and ergonomics. I also love walking, beaching and boating and being part of a large extended family including one grandie.
As well as attending numerous numbers of conferences, seminars and training packages I have completed a post graduate certificate in Rehabilitation through the University of Otago in 2015.
- Extensive experience and post graduate training in vocational rehabilitation
- Extensive experience in assessing musculoskeletal risks in the workplace and providing injury prevention and/or management alternatives
- Experience in psychosocial assessments and multidisciplinary pain management programmes
- Experience in assessment and intervention for Mild Traumatic Brain Injury conditions
- Effectively working independently and/or within multidisciplinary teams
- Extensive experience working in private and public industries.
- Extensive experience in chronic pain self management programmes
- Extensive experience in assessing companies needs and developing ‘active interventions’ to assist them to minimise injuries to workers.
- Occupational Therapy New Zealand - Whakaora Ngangahau Aotearoa
- Occupational Therapy Association of NZ
Pain Society of NZ
Northland Chamber of Commerce
MHANZ - Manual Handling
Rural Allied Health Professionals Consortium
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy
Post graduate certificate in Rehabilitation