“My role is especially committed to improving workplace safety standards and promoting the preventative aspect of workplace injury and disease. My personal challenge is to uphold this commitment”
- Dip Safety Management (Massey)
- Dip Public Health Inspection (London)
- Cert Employment Relations (Massey)
- Cert Human Resource Dev (Massey)
- Graduate Member of NZISM (Institute of Safety Management)
- Accredited SafePlus Assessor
- John has nearly 30 years’ experience in the wider field of environmental health and has been directly involved in health and safety management for the last 14 years. After 16 years with the Dept. of Health, working in environmental health, John joined the Auckland City Council as their health and safety manager. Following the local government amalgamation John was a Head of Department before assuming the role of Personnel Manager with health and safety management responsibilities. During this period he introduced the Accredited Employer Programme into the City which saved considerable costs and returned injured employees promptly to work.
- John established a claims/case management division for an international insurance brokering company and secured several well-known companies and corporations as clients. These clients were managed under the ACC Accredited Employer Programme and the privatized employer accident insurance market. The WSMP (Workplace Safety Management Practices) was introduced in the early 2000’s and John has successfully introduced many employers into this programme.
- In September 2017 John became an Accredited SafePlus Assessor
Areas of Expertise
John has developed a particular expertise in developing health and safety management systems for employers which have effectively reduced the incidence and cost of injuries.
In September 2012 John established Workplace Assistance NZ Ltd which continues to assist employers manage their health programs. The services offered include;
- Advice on the impact of the new Act
- Suitability of employers current H&S system
- SafePlus accreditation
- Occupational health assistance with dust, fume gas emission survey’s and noise surveys
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management
- Dip in Safety Management
Cert Employment Relations (Massey)
Cert Human Resource Dev (Massey)
Graduate Member of NZISM (Institute of Safety Management)
Accredited SafePlus Assessor