Having worked in Occupational Health for 16 years I have gained experience through study and on the job and internal corporate training. My role is to provide to the business, specialist expertise for effective identification and management of health hazards. This includes providing technical expertise in the implementation of policies and procedures to all effective management of health hazards, for example Fitness to work, health risk assessments and health monitoring & monitoring and reviewing Shell Taranaki health performance.
I am accountable for 5 other employees (4 medics and 1 occupational heath nurse). I am also accountable for:
- Providing Functional support to extended OH Team (including nurse; site medics and first aiders) ensuring competencies
- Act as Shell Taranaki Focal Point for managing all health matters and champion/drive Control Framework implementation.
- Interfacing with company medical advisors including CMA and EPA/Australasian Health Group and coordinatin health resources to meet Corporate, Assets and line requirements.
- Developing, deploying and assuring required standards, protocols & procedures for health management at line, Asset and Corporate level, including:
- Health Risk Assessment
- Health Impact Assessment
- Fitness to work and health monitoring including offshore medical screening,
- Occupational Health reporting and investigation,
- Drug & alcohol testing,
- Medical Emergency Response and evacuation,
- Injury/illness management and rehabilitation
- Human Factors Engineering-Ergonomics/workstation assessments
- Product Stewardship
- Pandemic preparedness
- Stress prevention and mitigation
- Standards applied and monitoring of potable water quality and food sanitation for Shell Taranaki sites
- Proposing health KPIs, set up systems to manage health records and monitor performance.
- Participating in incident investigation, especially significant health incidents.
- Participating in health audit process
- Maintaining awareness and knowledge of health legislation, policies, and standards and provide support and guidance to the line on implementation and compliance. Act as Shell Taranaki Legislative Authority (LA) for Health.
- Promoting company awareness of health matters and provide health training for personnel, propose and drive personal health/fitness improvement initiatives
- New Zealand Occupational Health Nurses' Association
- Diploma of Nursing
Diploma of Health Science - Occupational Health
Basic Principles of Occupational Hygiene