John is Principal - Safety, Health and Environment for WSP in New Zealand who are part of WSP, one of the world’s largest professional services organisations employing around 48,000 people in over 40 countries globally.
John has a strong focus on the transformational change of safety, health and environment (SHE) using Safety II proactive safety, to make systems worker-centric, practical and usable.
He is proud of the unique value WSP brings to clients. Their unrivaled local knowledge is the result of over 149 years of pioneering the important infrastructure and environments of New Zealand, alongside world-class technical experts in Transport, Water, Property & Buildings, Power, Environment and Sustainability.
John is a strategic, transformational leader and influencer. He is enthusiastic, conscientious and reliable, always striving for excellence. His aim is to delight clients through outstanding safety, health and environmental outcomes. Plain language reports are provided concentrating on quality not quantity.
John’s specialist areas include:
- Management consulting and advice, strategy and policy development, legal duties, risk management, critical risks and BowTie analysis
- Safe systems for work that incorporates occupational health and environmental aspects
- Transformational change of safety, health and environment management systems using the Safety II – proactive safety approach, to make systems worker-centric, easy to use and practical.
- ISO 45001 OH&S management systems – implementation, or transition from NZS 4801 or OHSAS 18001
- ISO 14001 Environmental management systems – implementation, or transition to 2015 standard
- Integrating ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 with ISO 9001 – Quality management systems into an integrated management system (IMS)
- Gap analysis prior to certification audits for ISO 45001 and ISO 14001
- Guidance on areas often not well understood such as duties of: Directors and Executives (officers), PCBU’s, businesses engaging contractors, designers, manufacturers, importers, suppliers and installers. Duties to engage with workers, contractor management and overlapping duties.
- Due diligence verifications and deep-dive analysis (the cold, hard, truth)
- ICAM investigations (Root cause analysis)
- Independent reviews, critical analysis of actions and reviews of effectiveness.
- Support with implementation of actions from prosecutions or enforceable undertakings
- SHE Project management
- Recruitment support or stand-in manager
- Illuminating and transforming safety, health and environmental management in New Zealand.
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management
- Master of Occupational Health & Safety
Post Graduate Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
International General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety (with Distinction)
New Zealand Diploma in Business
Diploma in Management
Diploma in Accounting
Lead ICAM Investigator