I am a New Zealand registered occupational therapist with over 35 years of experience working with a range of clients with health and disability issues both here in New Zealand, USA, and Australia. I commenced my career with the Auckland District Health Board in 1983 where I gained a wide experience in general medical, neurology and orthopaedics. I have worked as a community occupational therapist and as an independent practitioner completing a range of assessments and interventions under Ministry of Health, ACC, and Ministry of Social Development contracts. These include driving and transport assessments, housing modifications, equipment assessment and provision, social rehabilitation, training programmes for clients with brain injury and post-traumatic stress disorder, workstation assessments and return to work assessments and programmes. By providing occupational therapy services for clients of all ages, with diverse and complex needs, I have gained extensive knowledge of the vast range of health, disability and injury issues that can impact on individuals.
In the last 13 years my focus has been primarily in the area of vocational rehabilitation. I completed a post graduate certificate in health sciences in 2014 that included a paper in ergonomics and vocational rehabilitation.
I have extensive experience conducting assessments in a range of workplaces, private and public industries, and providing education on work ergonomics to a range of small, large, government and corporate agencies. I have completed ACC training for preventing and managing discomfort, pain, and injury.
My interests include all areas of vocational rehabilitation, injury prevention, and ergonomics. My experience and skills are in:
- Assessment of musculoskeletal risks in the workplace and providing injury prevention and or management options.
- The assessment of psychosocial needs and strategies for self- management of anxiety, stress, and low mood.
- Assessment and intervention for the management of mild traumatic brain injury and acquired brain injury conditions.
- Experience in chronic pain self - management programmes
I have a philosophy of using education as my main tool when conducting workplace assessments as I believe in the importance of enabling people to manage their health and safety needs and mental wellbeing in the workplace. I have a bio- psychosocial approach to workplace assessment and the skills for provision of strategies for physical and mental wellbeing.
- Occupational Therapy New Zealand - Whakaora Ngangahau Aotearoa
- Occupational Therapy New Zealand-Whakaora Ngangahau Aotearoa
- Post Graduate Certificate in Health Science in Rehabilitation
Diploma occupational Therapy