Prior to starting with KPMG as a specialist consultant in 2018, I developed a pragmatic approach over 15 years’ working in the oil and gas, mining, construction, and agriculture industries. I have worked in a number of different countries and different cultures within Southeast Asia including East Timor, Indonesia and Singapore as well as with Aboriginal Australians.
Standards and frameworks
- Implemented and reviewed health and safety management systems across industry. Key areas include the evaluation and auditing of health and safety management systems within, government departments, ministries and organisations. Reviews have been at a framework level or specific to requirements such as governance, contractor management, or risk management.
- Audited and implemented systems to ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001, ISO 45003 and been the lead in the implementation of ISO 45001 in several organisations.
- Led SafePlus assessments on government regulatory bodies and corporations including central and local government, agriculture, infrastructure, health, and energy.
- Ensures appropriate due diligence occurs, and key stakeholders receive the right information to make strategic decisions.
- Experienced in statistical review and trending of lead and lag indicators to establish a focus of continuous improvement in operations, training, risk management and communication with operations.
- Supported Crown entities in setting health and safety key performance indicators and development of safety reporting dashboards.
- Conducted critical risk framework reviews and deep dives into key risks. Some examples include working from home, lone work, psychosocial impact of work, high risk natural environments, and helicopters just to name a few.
- As part of the strategic team, managed safety risk in full mine and port operations shutdowns. This included the facilitation and/or participation in risk assessments (HAZOPS, CRAWs and HIRAs) with the project management team and contractors.
- Part of the team to review industrial safety process on onshore gas plants and in mining activities.
- Developed strategic risk including statements.
- Completed health and safety assurance maps for complex, high and low risk organisations.
- Facilitated and led incident investigations, specifically to ICAM methodology. Including as a team member in serious permanent injury incident investigation (mining sector). My methodological and non-biased approach has seen me conduct investigations as part of KPMG’s Forensic team.
- Moved organisations from compliance focused cultures to all levels of the organisation proactively managing safety through behaviour-based safety system (BBS) and Safety II theory.
- Conducted regular site inspections and field interactions during operations.
- Mine Port Contact Officer: provide support and advise to staff members who experience or witness any bullying, harassment or intimidation and complaint resolution.
- New Zealand Institute of Safety Management
- Graduate Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
Accredited SafePlus assessor